This Step: Practice Driving
Practice Driving in Georgia
Until you get your drivers license you must practice behind the wheel with a supervised driver. This person must:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Hold a valid Class C drivers license
- Sit next to you any time you are driving
- Be capable of exercising control of your vehicle if necessary.
A) Get On the Road
Teen drivers between 16 and 18 years old must clock the following practice hours before applying for a Georgia drivers license:
- Teens age 16 years old―40 hours of supervised driving practice, 6 hours must be done at night. You must also show proof of a completed driver's education course that is approved by the Department of Driver Services.
- Teens older than 17 years old―No need to show proof of drivers ed completion, but you still must clock the above-stated practice hours
B) Complete Driver Training
When you apply for a Class D driver’s license (for drivers between 16 and 18 years old), you will need a parent, guardian, or duly authorized DDS-certified driver education instructor to confirm you completed all 40 hours.