This Step: Practice Driving
Practice Driving in Iowa
A) Understand Your Learner’s Permit Restrictions
With a valid Indiana instruction permit, you can legally get behind the wheel with certain experienced drivers. Check the lists below for requirements.
Permit Restrictions for Teens Under 18 Years Old
Teens under 18 years old who hold a valid permit can only drive with:
- Driver education instructor
- Prospective driver education instructor
- Licensed parent or guardian
- Member of your immediate family who is licensed and at least 21 years old, or
- Another licensed adult who is at least 25 years old and has your parent’s/guardian’s written permission
B) Get On the Road
One of the conditions of your IA instruction permit is that you clock 20 hours of supervised driving with any of the above-stated acceptable passengers seated next to you. Of these 20 hours, at least 2 hours must be driven between sunset and sunrise.
Also, the number of passengers you can transport is limited to the number of safety seat belts in the vehicle.
If you abide by all conditions listed above, after a minimum of six months, you can graduate to the next phase and apply for an intermediate license.