This Step: Get a Learner Permit
Get a Learner Permit in Louisiana
Teens who are 15, 16 and 17 can apply for a Louisiana learner’s permit by following the steps below. If you are 17 or older you can also apply directly for a driver’s license once you complete the 38-hour drivers ed course or the six-hour pre-licensing course.
A) Ace a Few DMV Practice Permit Tests
Prepare for the written exam by taking multiple online practice permit tests before heading to a nearby Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV) branch. Sample test questions cover topics you’ll find on the actual LA learner’s permit exam.
In addition to passing some practice tests, thoroughly study the Louisiana Driver’s Guide. That way you will be prepared to breeze through the actual Office of Motor Vehicles permit test with ease.
B) Gather Required Documents and Louisiana Permit Fees
When applying for a Louisiana learner’s permit, you must present the state with:
- Your Social Security card (or an additional secondary document if you don’t have one
- Your certified birth certificate
- A Certificate of Successful Completion of a 38-Hour Drivers Education Course
- Proper fees (this could include an additional parish fee depending on where you live; the state only accepts cash for driver’s license fees
You must also be accompanied by your parent or legal guardian who can present a valid picture ID. If your parents have joint custody of you, only your domiciliary parent can sign for you. If your mother accompanies you and is remarried, she must present documentation (such as a certified copy of her divorce decree and new marriage license) that proves the connection in your names.
C) Take the Written Permit Test
With the above requirements in hand, head to an LA Office of Motor Vehicles branch. Be prepared to also take a vision test.
The state breaks up the written test into two sections:
- 30 general-knowledge questions on the rules of the road and Louisiana’s driver’s license regulations
- 20 road sign questions
To pass, you must correctly answer 80% on each portion.