This Step: Get a Drivers License
Get a Drivers License in Maine
Once you have held your instruction permit for 6 months, you will be eligible to take a road test. All first-time applicants, regardless of age, must pass the road test to obtain a Maine driver’s license.
A) Make a Road Test Appointment at the Maine BMV
At this point, you should have received the road test request form (described in the previous step) from the Motor Vehicles main office in Augusta. When you are ready to take the test, mail your form back to the state so you can be scheduled to take the driving exam at the testing location nearest you.
Find Your Local BMV Office
Or Select a City:
B) Gather Required Documents and Maine License Fees
Be prepared to provide the following on test day:
- Learner’s permit
- Appointment notice
- Proof you are a Maine resident
- Proof of US citizenship and legal presence
- Social Security number (if not already on file with the Secretary of State)
- Proper fees
- Current registration for the vehicle you furnish for the road test*
*You must provide a road test vehicle that properly registered and inspected.
B) Take the Road Test
With your required documents and fees in hand, head to your appointment early with a validly licensed driver. During the road test, a drivers license examiner will assess how you:
- Maintain control of your vehicle at all times
- Drive forward and backward
- Maintain proper lane position
- Turn left, right and drive straight
- Observe and react to other drivers and pedestrians, traffic signs, signals and conditions
Get Your Maine Driver's License
Provisional Drivers License
Once you pass the road test, you’ll receive a provisional license. For those younger than 21 years old, you must hold this first license for 2 years before graduating to a full license. With your new license, you must follow these restrictions:
- You may not drive between midnight and 5 a.m.
- You may not carry passengers other than immediate family members* (or a foreign exchange student living with the family) unless you are accompanied by a validly licensed driver
*Immediate family members include a grandparent, step-grandparent, parent, step-parent, brother, stepbrother, sister, stepsister, child, stepchild or spouse.
Full Class C Drivers License
Again, all drivers younger than 21 years old must hold a provisional license for 2 years before obtaining a full Class C license. You must have avoided moving violation convictions as they can result in license suspension and severe penalties.