This Step: Practice Driving
Practice Driving in New Jersey
A) Get On the Road
Whether you have a New Jersey student learner’s permit or an examination permit, you must practice supervised driving for at least 6 months (or 3 months if you are 21 years old or older). The same restrictions apply to both during this phase:
- You must display a reflectorized decal on the front and back license plates
- You can’t drive after 11:01 p.m. and before 5:00 a.m.
- You must always drive with an adult supervising driver in the front seat (this person must be at least 21 years old with a valid New Jersey driver’s license and a minimum of 3 years driving experience)
- The only passengers you can drive with include parents, guardians and dependents (a dependent is a permit or probationary driver's child, not siblings)
- You can only have 1 additional passenger unless accompanied by a parent or guardian
- You can't use cell phones, hand-held video games or any other hands-free interactive, wireless communication device
- Seat belts are a must at all times
For more on GDL exemptions (hours, employment, religious, etc.), visit the state site.