This Step: Get a Drivers License
Get a Drivers License in New Jersey
First-time drivers who are at least 17 years old must complete the supervised driving period without any suspensions or postponements. Then, to apply for a New Jersey driver's license you must:
A) Make an Appointment
Make an appointment online to take the road test and get your probationary drivers license. If you are 18 years old or older and already have a probationary license, skip to part C for info on getting your basic drivers license.
B) Take the Road Test
On test day, you must:
- Have completed the unsupervised driving period
- Prove your identity by passing the 6 Point ID Verification process
- Pass a road test
C) Get Your New Jersey Driver's License
Your age will determine what kind of license the state issues you.
Teens 17 years old and older will receive a probationary license. It comes with specific requirements and restrictions you must follow for at least 1 year. Then you have to return to the NJ MVC after this period to get a basic driver's license.
Basic Driver's License
If you are at least 18 years old and already hold a probationary license, you can upgrade to a basic drivers license by:
- Completing the unsupervised driving period
- Gathering you provisional license and documents to pass the 6 Point ID and Address Verification process
- Visiting any New Jersey MVC agency with the proper fees