This Step: Get a Drivers License
Get a Drivers License in New Jersey
First-time drivers who are at least 17 years old must complete the six-month supervised driving period (or three months if you are 21 or older) without any suspensions or postponements. Then, to apply for a New Jersey driver's license you must:
A) Make an Appointment
Make an appointment online to take the road test and get your probationary drivers license. If you are 18 or older and already have a probationary license, skip to part C for info on getting your basic drivers license.
B) Take the Road Test
On test day, you must be at least 17 years old and:
- Have completed the unsupervised driving period
- Prove your identity by passing the 6 Point ID Verification process
- Pass a road test
C) Get Your New Jersey Driver's License
Your age will determine what kind of license the state issues you.
Teens 17 years and older will receive a probationary license. It comes with specific requirements and restrictions you must follow for at least 12 months. Then you have to return to the NJ MVC one year from the issue date to get a basic driver’s license.
Basic Driver’s License
If you are at least 18 years old and already hold a probationary license, you can upgrade to a basic drivers license by:
- Completing the unsupervised driving period
- Gathering you provisional license and documents to pass the 6 Point ID and Address Verification process
- Visiting any New Jersey MVC agency with the proper fees