This Step: Practice Driving
Practice Driving in Oklahoma
With your permit, you can legally practice driving on Oklahoma roads under supervision. Before you get behind the wheel, be sure you are familiar with your learner permit restrictions.
A) Know Your OK Learners Permit Restrictions
Any time you practice driving you must:
- Carry your learner permit with you
- Ensure that all passengers wear safety belts
- Be accompanied by a validly licensed driver who is at least 21 years old in the seat next to you; this supervising driver must have a held a valid Class D license for at least two years
B) Get On the Road
Teens in the Graduated Driver Licensing program must also clock 50 hours of actual behind-the-wheel training, including ten nighttime hours. These practice hours must take place while being accompanied by a licensed driver who:
- Is at least 21 years old
- Is properly licensed to drive a Class D motor vehicle
- Has been authorized to drive on a Class D license for a minimum of two years
Log your hours to easily keep track of time spent on the road. Once you have finished all required hours, have your parent certify this by completing the 50 Hour Driver Training Affidavit in the presence of a notary public. You’ll submit this affidavit when applying for your drivers license.