This Step: Get a Drivers License
Get a Drivers License in West Virginia
A) Make Sure You're Eligible for a Driver's License
Intermediate License (Level 2)
You're eligible to take the road test and apply for an intermediate license if:
- You're at least 16 years old
- You've held your permit for a minimum of 6 months
- You've competed the driving requirement of 50 hours
- You were not convicted of any traffic violations during the 6 months prior to your license application
- You hold a current Driver Eligibility Certificate issued by your county school board
Full License (Level 3)
You may apply for full license status if:
- You're at least 17 years old
- You've held your intermediate license for a minimum of 1 year, without any traffic violation convictions
- You own a high school diploma or have a current Driver Eligibility Certificate issued by your county school board
B) Make a Road Test Appointment With the West Virginia DMV
Call your local DMV office to make a road test appointment.
Find Your Local DMV Office
Or Select a City:
C) Gather Required Documents and WV License Fees
On day of your road test, bring:
- Your permit
- Proper identification
- Proof of registration and auto insurance for the test car, provided by you
D) Take the Road Test
Arrive early for your road test appointment. Before the test, the examiner will inspect your vehicle for safety defects. The test may be cancelled if the examiner deems your vehicle unsafe. During the inspection you, when asked, will be expected to locate and explain all safety equipment. If you cannot answer the examiner's questions, you will fail the road test before getting behind the wheel.
If you advance to the driving portion of the test, you will be graded on:
- Turning at intersections
- Parallel parking
- Use of turn signals
- Lane changes
- Road sign identification
- Judgement in traffic
- Regard for pedestrians
Pass and you'll be required to complete a short DUI awareness course before receiving your driver's license.
Road Test Retakes
If you fail, you must wait a week before trying again.
Get Your West Virginia Driver's License
Intermediate Driver's License
With this license, you must obey the following restrictions:
- No driving without a licensed adult between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. (exceptions include driving to and from a school function, work, a religious activity, or a medical emergency)
- No driving during the first 6 months with any non-family passengers under 20 years old
- No driving during the second 6 months with more than one non-family passenger under 20 years old
You must hold this license for 1 year, valid until 30 days after your 18th birthday.
Full Driver's License
All restrictions lifted.