This Step: Get a Drivers License

Driver's License Checklist

Badges Earned:

    Get a Drivers License in New York

    Teens younger than 18 years old must have 6 months of valid permit status from the date of issue to the day you take your road test. The rule doesn't apply if you are 17 years old, have completed driver education and can provide a form MV-285 Driver Education Certificate.

    A) Make an Appointment

    Make an appointment online or by phone to get your driver's license. Be prepared to provide info from your learner permit and form MV-278 or MV-285. You must also pay a fee to take the test when you schedule. Lastly, know the ZIP code of the area you want to test in. Once you book your road test appointment, note the site, date, time and directions for test day.

    B) Take the Road Test

    During your visit to the NY DMV, you must provide:

    • Your valid photo learner permit
    • Your valid MV-278 Pre-Licensing Course Certificate or MV-285 Driver Education Certificate
    • Form MV-262 Certification of Supervised Driving completed by your parent, guardian, driver education teacher or driving school instructor (if you are younger than 18 years old)

    The state requires applicants to also provide the road test vehicle. Be sure the car you bring operates properly and has current registration and a valid inspection. Take the time to also check the seat belts, headlights, doors and other equipment to confirm that they operate properly. For a full list of road test tips, consult the state site.

    Get Your New York Driver's License

    Junior License―Class DJ or MJ

    After you pass the road test, the license examiner will give you an interim driver license. Keep this with your learner permit as proof you are licensed to drive in New York. If the examiner cannot confirm your eligibility, you'll receive a receipt for passing your driving test.

    Regular Drivers License―Class D

    Class DJ junior license holders have the following options for changing to a Class D senior license:

    • 17 years old ―You need form MV-285 to upgrade your license; this certificate has to be issued from a DMV-approved drivers ed program. You must submit the form to the DMV examiner AFTER YOU PASS THE ROAD TEST* to avoid the change fee.

    *Immediately following your road test, give the DMV examiner your form MV-285 Driver Education Certificate. It will be kept on file and used to change your drivers license for no extra fee. If you fail to submit the form, you must return to a DMV office and complete Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card (Form MV-44), pay a fee and then wait for your license in the mail.

    Find Your Local DMV Office

    Related Products and Services

    Recent Successes